Director of Catering - $2,000 Sign On Bonus
Centerplate is now hiring a Director of Catering to lead the Catering Department - Sales & Operations.
This is an opportunity to open a brand new state of the art football stadium Protective Stadium and reopening of the completely renovated Legacy Arena. With over $300M invested into these facilities they are in line to host major concerts, NCAA Basketball, and the 2022 World Games.
Centerplate and our partner venues have been defining extraordinary experiences through thoughtful hospitality, expertly delivered, for more than 80 years at gathering places across North America and the United Kingdom. As the pioneer and leader in live event hospitality, we are committed to making the time that people spend together more rewarding and more valuable. “Making it better to be there since 1929.”™
The Director of Catering position is found within larger Centerplate venues, typically Tier 1 Convention Centers, with a high volume of and significant revenue stream from catered functions and events.
• Manage a team of one or more Catering Sales Managers and or/Coordinators.
• Responsible for creating unique dining experiences by directing, selling, up-selling and actively participating in the planning and production of catered functions.
• Work closely with clients, as well as with the banquets, culinary, beverage and operations staff. to ensure that events are coordinated and executed smoothly and in accordance with client expectations and specifications.
• Focus on the development, implementation, and measurement of the revenue objectives contained within the unit’s annual marketing plan.
•Direct and manage the Catering Sales team and all sales activities to meet revenue objectives and attain the top line financial forecast. This includes developing sales with existing business (forecasted group/local business) and executing strategies to develop new business.
• Support the planning of and preparation for events according to anticipated attendance, and will provide hands-on management and oversight in the areas of service and F&B operations during events.
• Maximize Centerplate’s catering revenue through creative sales techniques and
• Serve as primary liaison to our client’s sales, marketing and event team.
• Work with our client’s management staff in effective hand-off of venue clients to ensure positive relations and effective communication with meeting planners, group leaders and event organizers.
• Spearhead inclusion in site visits and fam trips.
• Work with clients to conceptualize and plan catered functions according to their specifications.
• Implement sales techniques to generate new business.
• Maintain on-going contact with existing clients and accounts.
• Identify and research prospective sponsors for solicitation.
• Create, present, negotiate, and secure comprehensive, long-term sponsorship packages.
• Maintain client relationships and work to renew agreements prior to contract expiration.
• Fulfill all the terms of sponsorship agreements including, but not limited to, managing sign production, promotional elements, providing/ordering event tickets and coordinating food & beverage orders for suites.
• Maintain a database of all sponsorship prospects and detailed active and prospective account
• Represent facility at business, community and social organizations and make sales presentations as required.
• Support marketing department at various functions, with on-site public relations, promotional activities and assisting with special events.
• Maintain detailed records of account payment activity and oversee billing and collections.
• Assist Banquet Manager and Chef in planning menus and aid in the creation of specialty menus and theme functions.
• Prepare contracts to include all specified details concerning catered events.
• Establish and maintain accurate filing and posting systems for past, tentative and upcoming events.
• Communicate and disseminate critical event information to department heads and staff members and distribute detailed function sheets at weekly staff/BEO meetings.
• Work with selected vendors to arrange for the rental of tables, A/V, game equipment, linens and other needed items per event specifications.
• Book or recommend décor and entertainment providers such as photographers, florists, bands, speakers or specialty acts, as requested by customer.
• Assign accounts for group and local business to members of the sales team; Oversee daily function of the sales department and ensure the successful completion of all sales-related tasks.
• Ensure employees’ compliance with all applicable health and safety regulations.
• Manage the financial performance of the department through development, analysis and
implementation of sales plans and forecasts to minimize variances.
• Drive competitive set review and analysis.
• Assess opportunities and create action plans to improve sales, service, quality and profitability of venue.
• Seek out customer feedback and respond to customer needs to improve retail services; Intervene in instances of guest dissatisfaction.
• Perform other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required from time to time.
• Guide, support and counsel Sales staff.
• Execute responsibilities for hiring, training, scheduling, performance coaching, discipline, assessment and initiating pay increases.
• Establish goals, benchmarks and timelines for on-going development and success measurement.
• Drive compliance, consistency and quality through maintaining visible presence throughout unit.
• Coordinate and delegate responsibilities to operations, service and culinary team members per client requests to ensure events run smoothly and according to specifications.
• Apply expert attention to detail; Check all set-ups to ensure quality and accuracy.
• Assist in monitoring food safety, quality and presentation to ensure that all Centerplate standards are maintained.
• Coach and support team members to be customer-focused, innovative, fast and team-oriented in their work.
• Be fully knowledgeable of Catering menus.
• Assist in educating staff regarding food and wine knowledge and serve as an information resource for any questions they may have.
• Communicate and disseminate critical event information to team through weekly/daily/monthly phone calls and meetings.
• Support staff’s ability to follow Centerplate standards, policies and procedures.
• Establish checklists as necessary and investigate report and follow up on non-compliance issues and employee incidents.
• Expediently resolve questions, concerns and issues through consultation with GM and/or HR
• Bachelor's degree in business, hotel/restaurant management or a related field, and/or appropriate combination of education and experience to support on the job effectiveness.
• 5-7 years of catering sales experience, with at least 3-5 years in a senior management role.
• Prior experience in a similar venue with more than $10M in food and beverage sales.
• Demonstrated financial acumen with proven track record for generating revenue growth.
• P&L accountability and/or contract-managed service experience.
• Must possess strong knowledge of food and wine for menu development.
• Must possess strong knowledge of food and beverage financials, operations procedures, controls and administration, as well as awareness and ability to perform all sales-related functions.
• Solid and proven track record for sales and leadership success.
• Tech savvy, with high proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs.
• Demonstrated success in interfacing with a variety of organizational functions and divisions to
• Flexibility, ability to work extended or irregular hours to include nights, weekends and holidays.
• Proven ability to work effectively with all levels of staff and management.
• Ability to promote and participate in team environment concepts.
• Self-starter who can work independently and on several tasks/projects simultaneously, and who
can contribute to functional areas of the business outside of retail operations.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Initiative in identifying and resolving problems timely and effectively.
• Subject to wet floors, temperature extremes and excessive noise; must be able to lift up to 50 pounds in weight; must be able to maneuver in an often tightly-quartered environment.
Founded in 1929, Centerplate, a Sodexo Company, serves as a leading provider of hospitality services to North America's premier sports facilities, convention centers, and entertainment venues. Centerplate's primary services include: food and beverage / catering services, specialty retail management, and design services.
Serving over 170 venues and 100 million guests annually, Centerplate is an integral partner to clients across a broad list of end markers, including: professional sports, convention centers, college athletics, ski resorts, minor league sports, attractions, and theaters, among others. "Making it better to be there since 1929."
Centerplate, a Sodexo Company, is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.